Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sometimes God gives us people to show how much He loves us.

Throughout all of my moves I have kept a simple card given to me by my sister. I can't remember now why she gave it to me in the first place. I run across it every once in a while and it reminds me that I do not have to face my struggles alone.

The front is a picture of two little girls decked out in rain hats, ponchos and galoshes underneath a great big umbrella. Inside is the simple phrase "Until the sun comes out again for you, my umbrella's big enough for two."

At the end of my sister's loving, hope-filled words she wrote a list of scripture passages and this quote:

"... the greatest anchor to your soul, in time of trouble, in time of temptation, in times of sickness, in times of indecision, in times of your struggles and work, (is that) you can know with a certainty that defies all doubt that God lives."
--Pres. Harold B. Lee
Read:
Doctrine & Covenants 121-122
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, cast down but not destroyed.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

I am grateful for my knowledge that God lives, that He loves me. And in times of trials when I am faced with challenges sure to break my soul, those struggles which cause me to doubt whether God really does hear me and answer me.... I am eternally grateful to Him because He gave me a family who loves me and a sister who shares her umbrella.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that Val!

kenna said...

It sure does make a hell of a difference to have someone like that.

Kudos to your sister.

Val'n'Ben said...

Hey Kenna, it's a really big umbrella, you're welcome to join us!

Heather said...

I'm just so lucky to have a sister who is so easy to love.

Sarah said...

I have one from my sister too from 7 years ago that has daisies on the front with dirt and roots and stuff. It just is nice to know someone cares to write it down and send it. Love you Val!!