Wednesday, October 7, 2009

my personal drugstore


Here's a picture of all of the drugs I'm currently taking. I assumed that seeing my new doctor would mean new medication, and I was correct. I got some really interesting information from him, namely that I have been taking my thyroid medication incorrectly for the past (however long I've been taking this medication!) Of course this is why my ob/gyn suggested I see an endocrinologist because she is admittedly out of her specialty league. Because I've been taking it incorrectly the vitamins impeded its absorption and cause me to only get about half the prescribed dose.

And to add to the fun the endocrinologist prescribed Metformin (which is the devil's medicine!) for my PCOS. Again, I learned more than my ob/gyn was prepared to teach me. She wouldn't prescribe Metformin to me because I am not diabetic, I am not even close to being pre-diabetic. Luckily my sugar levels are quite low. The endocrinologist however, taught me that while my sugar levels are healthy, there can still be some insulin resistance at the level of the ovaries themselves. So, I am now on the devil's medication! I am hoping it takes care of the PCOS, I'm hoping it does what it's supposed to. I really hate it though! It's awful! It churns and twists my stomach and causes miserably "crappy" side effects!

Hopefully more medications mean more results. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

JAMIE said...

The churning tummy will adjust. it took me about 2 months. But hopefully you are on Extended Release, that did FAR less than the regular stuff.

You'll get through this. I'm hoping the Metformin helps too. I know it helped me in a lot of ways.

Being on birth Control for a time, also helped get my ovaries healthy. Are you trying that as well? Even just a few months so the cysts can recede, and your ovaries can get a bit better.

Jen Nelson said...

Good luck hon!! I hope all the meds help to get you a healthy happy baby! Good luck with the Metformin. I've heard it's not fun :(