Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Can you consider licorice a bribe?

It's been several months, but this is still a funny story.
I was driving to work around 5AM when red and blue flashing lights appeared in my rear view mirror. I knew I was speeding when I passed the patrol car but didn't think he'd have time to turn on me. I was right, and I was wrong. It wasn't who I expected, the short bald sergeant I'd seen parked on the side of the road. And clearly when the deputy poked his head inside my window I wasn't who he expected either.

"You dork!" was all he said. I feigned innocence but knew I'd been caught. I'd been driving 83mph in a 60mph zone. I guess I'd forgotten I was no longer on the freeway. "That's it, you owe me licorice!" And with that I was on my way.

I went to work by way of Walmart and bought a package of the softest Red Vine licorice I could find, then threw in a bag of Reese's Pieces to sweeten the deal.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Do you ever NOT speed? I need you in the car with me even though I have changed my driving habits considerably!! If only licorice would have gotten me out of tickets! ;)

JAMIE said...

LOL, your job certainly comes in handy!!

Val'n'Ben said...

Honestly Sarah, I don't speed anymore! Funny thing, I was about to yell at the hubby for going too slowly, then I realized my MPG had gone up to 34 from 29 where it seemed permanently stuck when I drive! So I have become good friends with my cruise control! Do you still need me in the car to parallel park for you? ;)