Monday, March 30, 2009

The life of a tumbleweed


The wind was rushing all around me, tumbleweeds of every shape and every size blew haphazardly through the fields and across the road as I drove. With every passing bush I thought about the significance of the weed and why it tumbles. The piece that we see is actually the above ground part of a plant, when it matures it breaks away from its roots and tumbles through the desert dispersing seeds. I didn't realize there was an actual purpose for tumbleweeds, I thought they were like nature's garbage littered throughout the desert landscaping.

But the tumbleweed also made me think about roots and how important it is to be firmly rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel is a multi-faceted thing, having many principles and doctrines, the church is even more vast in its diversities. Often times we mistake multi-faceted for complex, the gospel may have many pieces together but it is actually quite simple. It is the gospel of Jesus Christ. And so, it is upon Christ, that we must build our foundation and in Christ whom we should trust.

Whenever I move to a new ward or feel insecure in my own ward, I remember that the gospel is true no matter where I worship. An older gentleman in my home ward once told me, "I don't go to church because I'm perfect, I go because I'm not." While the church and the people in it are imperfect, He is and always will be constant, unwavering, perfect.

Programs may change, meeting times may get earlier or later, teachers, bishoprics, stake presidencies and yes, even the president of the church may pass away and be replaced by another. The Savior nor his gospel will change, merely the face of His representation here on Earth.

Be ye not as the tumbleweed, blowing about hither and thither; Plant your gospel roots in He who is the one sure thing. He spoke to His children in ancient times because He loved them, He speaks to us now for the same reason. "He is the same yesterday, today, forever."

1 comment:

Patti said...

Loved reading your comments. It brought this scripture to mind:

Mosiah 5:15 - Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.