Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Faith in the Lord, means faith in His timing - Neal A. Maxwell

Patience must be a virtue Heavenly Father still wants me to learn, because I feel like he's made me wait for everything. I found out when I had to wait til I was 25 to marry Heavenly, just how lucky I was that I didn't marry any of those dumb boys I thought would make me happy. I realized that my Father in Heaven knew a lot more about true happiness than I ever did. I look at myself before I met Heavenly and wonder "How on earth did I ever think I was happy?"

You'd think this experience alone would make me realize Heavenly Father might know a thing or two about what is best for me.

Then Ben and I started trying to have a baby. I never had any misgivings about getting pregnant, I didn't think it would happen overnight. The "trying" itself isn't half bad. But 15 months later and still nothing. Oh, we've had times when we thought we were, but still nothing. The last time I was sick every morning, and most of the day, everything hurt more, smells that normally didn't phase me made my stomach churn. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks, at least a week (let's face it I'm not the most patient person) to be sure. But then I got a UTI which wouldn't be a big deal, except it was followed by a kidney infection and a raging fever of 104 degrees for 3 days. After that, no more being sick in the morning. And then the spotting and the bleeding for weeks.

Before I got married it was "Why aren't you married yet?" or "I'll bet you're sad because your younger brother is getting married before you." Now, everywhere I turn someone is asking "When are you and Heavenly going to have kids?" "You don't have any kids yet?" Like it's a crime in Utah to be married for more than a year without getting pregnant. Why do people ask that? Have people become so insensitive that they no longer consider how questions like these might affect a person?

I know people who have been married less time than I've been trying who are already pregnant. And I've heard people trying half as long complain because everyone around them is pregnant, when it's really not the case, and all along they were pregnant anyway. I should be sympathetic, other people have tried much longer than we have and been told it would never happen.

I go to the doctor next week, I guess I'll be talking to her about my irregularity and getting back on the pill. But it makes me sad, like I'm giving up or finally admitting I can't get pregnant so why try? I'm sure some of you have felt the same as me, and many of you have experienced this and more. I know I'm one in a group of many women facing the same issues, many I know are much stronger than I. I feel blessed to know them.

6 comments:

Necia and Joe Shumway said...

I think you are an amazing person Val. Life is hard and I am sorry that you are having to struggle with this. I know you will be a good mom and you will get your chance. I will pray for you and Ben both. Love you!

kenna said...

I admit I don't quite have the words.

I do know, in a sense of course as all experiences tend to differ, how much this hurts. How are it is to trust in the timing of the Lord and not feel like He has tossed your 'file' in the shredder.

As for those who don't understand, well, they never will. I hate that they make life harder, but people like you and me, we will have something different to offer as parents. Something they will never have. I had a friend tell me that we are the special ones. The women who have to fight tooth and nail for the opportunity to become mothers.

I guess in the meantime I try to look for perks of what my life is now. We can pay our bills, we are stable, we are further in school. Not a consolation by any means, but I can't make it through life without trying to be grateful for what I've got.

There is a talk by Wirthlin called, 'Come What May and Love it.'

You will be blessed and you will be given what you desire. When the Lord says 'No,' I'd like to think He is setting us up for an even greater 'Yes.'

You know I am here for you. It's easier to have someone in the same boat travel this path with you.

kenna said...

P.S. Sorry for all the typos, and I mentioned that talk because it's amazing and you should read it.

Ciao

Val'n'Ben said...

I've actually read it and do love it. I try to think of it all the time when my first instinct is to get really angry. I step back and try to laugh.

It's so true, we both have so much to be thankful for. And we both still get to have uninhibited personal time with our husbands without morning sickness. And date nights without trying to find a baby sitter.

He says "no" because he's setting us up for an even bigger "yes," I love that!

As always, thanks Kenna.

Jen Nelson said...

Hugs!!

It sucks! All of it! I didn't find my husband until I was 26! And three years and two pregnancies later we still don't have a baby.

Good luck with the doctor! I've been playing the 'let's get pregnant' game for years! If you want you can email me!
jenmontynelson@hotmail.com

Heather said...

You know I love you and think you're amazing.

And I agree with Kenna, I think you are definitely special ones. Having fought and waited to be mothers, your children will be so very blessed by mothers who deeply appreciate and cherish them.

I certainly don't understand why things happen the way they do. I feel so undeserving of my precious children sometimes, like even after a decade+ I'm still just making it up as I go along. And I see from first-hand experience how wonderful you are with children and what a fantastic mother you will be and I just wonder. Why do I have my bag of blessings and trials and why do you have yours?

It's just hard to trust, have faith and know that the Lord loves us and is letting us have just the experiences we need.

One thing I've been thinking. We were in the temple a few weeks ago and I was thinking about my current situation, really worried that things were not going to turn out right. And I felt the spirit whisper to me SOOOO strongly that there was no such thing as a bad outcome, that things might not turn out the way I wanted them to, but that when it all comes down to it, every situation is for our good, everything will be joy in the end. Even if it's hard to see right now.

That doesn't make as much sense in words as it does in my heart, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Like I said, I love you. I'm always here for you.