Monday, January 5, 2009

High wind advisory

On Christmas Eve and into Christmas Day the wind was terrible. I woke up several times during the night because of the wind howling outside my bedroom window. My morning at work was spent watching tumbleweeds and a Rubbermaid container blow around in one of the cameras, and listening as the wind ripped across the roof of our building.

That afternoon we issued a high wind advisory for all of I-80 for high profile vehicles, including, but not limited to, semi trucks and large SUVs. Later, after a semi-truck was blown over by the wind we closed the freeway down entirely to high profile vehicles. A semi-truck or large SUV has a higher center of gravity and therefore it is easily blown over in high winds. Small passenger cars typically are much safer in high wind storms, because of their lower center of gravity.

I've felt like a semi-truck, tossed to and fro on windy freeways of life. Many times I've ignored the warnings and kept going with the gusty currents swirling menacingly ahead. Too many times I've learned the hard way and been knocked on my side.

We too can lower our center of gravity. When the winds of life come howling and you can't take anymore, don't stand.

Kneel.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Well said! I hope everything's going okay. I think I can relate to you on a few things (not everything, I'm sure) so if you ever need to talk let me know!

Sarah said...

Wow! You got all that from a high wind advisory?!

Miss you and this entry makes me miss you more! I love you girl!