Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My favorite substitutes!

My sister's little boy Coco was born in December before Heavenly and I started dating. At the time I was driving to Provo twice a week to workout with a personal trainer. I spent hours holding Coco. While I was dating Heavenly, coming to visit my sister's kiddos (and still working out) was the perfect reason to be "in the neighborhood." For most of Coco's little life I sat for hours holding him and rocking him while he slept.

As you can see, once I married Heavenly, not much changed.



I will always be grateful for such a wonderful husband who understands how therapeutic that peaceful pass time is for me. No matter how many afternoons I've spent rocking him to sleep when there were so many other things I "should" be doing, he never complained. Time holding a precious baby, no matter how long, is never wasted.


And I will of course be eternally grateful for such an unselfish sister who gave up her time with that precious little one because she could see in my eyes how I needed it. She has always graciously allowed me to claim them, because she knows in a very real sense they are mine. She never gets upset at me when I mother them just a little too much. And even though I know her heart breaks when Coco sometimes chooses me over her, I hope it eases her pain to know how much he is loved.


Thank you for letting me write about your family since I don't have one of my own, and letting me be a mother in the only way (so far) I can.

3 comments:

kenna said...

I have families like this. While my siblings are all far too young for children, I have dear friends who have allowed me to claim their children. Miss Maya being the most recent baby born into this clan. On my worst days my friend Erin let's me come over and just cuddle Maya. It makes me feel whole again. It truly is a blessing, and I'm glad you sister is there to help.

Heather said...

Um, you didn't mention how you being a second mother to my children has seriously kept me sane.

I'm so grateful you love them and that they love you. And so glad that these sweet little ones have been able to be healing and good for you.

Aarika said...

I know how theraputic it is to hold a baby even when it is not yours. When Jeremy and I were going through our infertility I was often in a very dark place, wanting a child so badly and not being able to have on of our own. The best thing for me was to hold a baby. I don't know how many people realize how much that does help.
Val I just want you to know I'm here for you whenever you need me, I know how hard it is. The one thing that got me through that time in my life was reminding myself that Heavenly Father will not give you more then you can handle. I know at the time that doesn't seem right but it is true. I love you and like I said if you need anything I'm here.