Monday, April 27, 2009

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!


Today Heavenly and I found a variety of Jelly Belly jelly beans on a trip to Target. They always have such interesting flavors and every time I eat them I'm amazed at how close they taste to the real thing. Jelly beans were never my favorite candy, they were all texture and little individual taste. Starburst and Jolly Rancher put their delicious candy flavors into a little tiny jelly bean and Easter has never been boring since! Then Jelly Belly came along and brought flavors like buttered popcorn and pink champagne to excite my curiosity and tickle my taste buds. Flavors like watermelon that appeal to my eyes as much as they do to my mouth with its green outside and red center; they simply must be bitten in half to see the red center before you eat it all.

You can now choose from a variety of soda pop flavored jelly beans, they have them individually or in a mix: 7-up, Cream Soda, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Orange and Grape Crush and my personal favorite Dr. Pepper. Heavenly and I were excited to see that Jelly Belly has now taken on Coldstone Creamery flavors, mint chocolate and birthday cake remix. I had to try the birthday cake remix, so we got a bag and started adding flavors.

We came home with birthday cake remix, buttered popcorn, watermelon, sour watermelon (so good!) and juicy pear.

Coldstone creamery is another one of those flavor wonders. My favorite cake batter ice cream really tastes like a cold scoop of yellow cake mix. You get all the wonderful taste of eating yellow cake batter without the risk of getting salmonella poisoning. (I think my mom used that one to scare me so I wouldn't eat all the batter and cookie dough when she was baking.) Now they've got chocolate cake batter ice cream and I'm trying to decide what mix-ins I'll try with that. I was thinking of a "better than sex cake" type ice cream with heath bar, caramel and whipped cream.

These creative geniuses have figured out not only how to harness the possibilities of good flavors, but seem to have mastered the art of the odd and the truly disgusting. Harry Potter made popular Bertie Bott's every flavor beans. Knowing how closely the dirt and grass flavored jelly beans resemble the real thing I refuse to taste the more disgusting flavors like ear wax, sardine or vomit. Some fruity jelly beans contain fruit juices, what kind of juices do vomit jelly beans contain? Eww!

How about people with pica? If you don't know what it is, it's a condition when people crave inedible things because their body is lacking some nutrient or another. People crave things like dirt and chalk. If I'm craving dirt (of course I know I need iron and may be anemic) do you think I can eat dirt flavored jelly beans and satisfy my craving?

Along with such great flavors made by Jelly Belly, one of my favorite things they've come up with is a compilation of different combinations to create "recipes" for more flavor possibilities. My sister liked to dipped popcorn in her ice cream when we were growing up, perhaps I'll try the birthday cake remix and buttered popcorn together and see if it brings back memories.

1 comment:

JAMIE said...

I think we might be Jelly Belly Flavor soul mates. :)