Friday, May 1, 2009

THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Have you ever seen a page in a training manual or text book that reads:

"THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK"

And except for that sentence the page really is blank. Would someone look at that same page, sans warning, and worry what they might be missing? And isn't writing the message on the page sort of an oxymoron anyway? It's no longer blank once it has writing on it. If it's supposed to be blank, leave it blank!

I feel the same way about people who write blog posts to inform their readers they have nothing to write. Write when you have something to write. There's nothing I hate more than getting to the end of a post that's several paragraphs long, all the while hoping if I keep reading they'll eventually get to the point.

If you don't write anything I'll understand you don't have anything to say or write about, most of your readers are smart enough to make the connection too.

1 comment:

kenna said...

I have a sign in my head that says that exact same thing.

'This space intentionally left blank.'

HA