Wednesday, May 6, 2009

But Officer, I had the munchies!

"Two Weeks Notice" starring Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant, has a great conversation outlining what defines an emergency.

Sandra Bullock: "You said it was an emergency! And didn't I memo you as to what constitutes an emergency?"
Hugh Grant: "Yes, large meteor, severe loss of blood and what was the third one again?"
Sandra Bullock: "DEATH! And you're not dead!"

A call we got last night has kept these comedic tag lines swirling through my head all day. Surely more people should take Sandra Bullock's advice when trying to determine whether their complaint warrants a call to 911.

Sometime after 1 AM a female called from one of the rest areas in our area. Her cell phone kept cutting out and my partner was barely able to ascertain her location, let alone what the emergency was. He called back after the phone disconnected and what he found out had me flabbergasted! The woman was calling 911 because the vending machines at the rest area were not working properly.

I've tilted and shaken, bumped and pounded on a vending machine. I've even contorted, however unsuccessfully, my arm in an attempt to get that ungettable snack food. In all the times I've punched my selection only to watch with disappointment as the corner of the packaging snags on my delightful 75 cent cupcake, not once did it ever occur to me that I should call the police! After all, what more could he/she do, shoot the dang thing?

1 comment:

Jen Nelson said...

BAH HAHAHAHAHA!

That is seriously the best story EVER!

My hubby is an EMT/Firefighter and some of the calls that come through make me shake my head! Awesomeness!